The company was founded by the glover Jakob Roeckl in 1839. At first he ran a retail store with craft production in Munich. Later a tannery and a dye factory followed as well as the development of a new patented tanning process.
The factory building constructed in 1870 by Jakob Roeckls son Christian south of the Munich city center on todays Roecklplatz still is the headquarter of the company. Furthermore at that time first sales branches in Berlin, Wiesbaden, Frankfurt, Cologne and Bremen followed. In 1890 Heinrich Roeckl took over the company at the age of 24 after the early death of his father. Roeckl expanded further by setting up shops and exported to America.
After the destruction in war the leather and glove production as well as the branch network were rebuilt under the direction of Heinrich Franz Roeckl.
With the take over of the company direction by Stefan Roeckl in 1966 the headquarter on the Roecklplatz was rebuilt.
In 2003 Annette Roeckl took over the sole management of the Roeckl gloves and accessories GmbH & Co. KG in the sixth generation after her brother Stefan Roeckl junior agreed with the take over of the sporting area in 2000. In the same year the product range sports gloves was outsourced as Roeckl Sports (Roeckl sports gloves GmbH & Co. KG) under the direction of Stefan Roeckl.